Demolition works at Rugby Mill, Chadderton: CDM-C appointment
RJD Associates (North West) Limited have been appointed by The Casey Group as the CDM Co-ordinator on a demolition project at Rugby Mill in Chadderton, Greater Manchester. The scope of works comprises the full demolition of the mill prior to a future redevelopment of the site.
Rugby Mill was designed by the architects F.W. Dixon & Sons for the Rugby Mill Co. Limited in 1908. It was built as a large multi-storey mule spinning mill on five floors. The Mill was initially powered by steam engine developing 1200hp with a 26’ flywheel driving spinning machinery built by Platt’s. It was taken over in the 1950’s by Cotton and Rayson Spinners Limited, spinning man-made fibres on the traditional ring spinning system.
The Mill has a lower ground floor which is sometimes described as a basement, an upper ground floor, and three upper storeys under an asphalt covered flat roof with a shallow parapet around the perimeter of the roof. It is built of red Accrington brick with pilasters and corner buttresses with steel and concrete floors, and comprises 24 x 12 bays. There are large rectangular windows with flat tops and decorative sandstone embellishments. In the southeast corner of the building is a tower which is in matching construction but with additional distinctive stone columns with the legend RUGBY in white lettering. The tower incorporates a southern projection which extends for the full height of the mill and contains the stairwell and toilet block for each floor. The tower itself then extends well above the height of the mill to accommodate a large water tank which is just visible on some elevations.
South of the mill tower is a single storey office block from which the mill is currently accessed. The power block, which now comprises only the engine house, is at the northeast corner of the mill with a small forebuilding to the south, and is of similar construction to the main and tower. A two storey warehouse runs the full length of the northwest side of the mill and abuts the engine house, and is of matching construction to the main mill building. The location of a now demolished former boiler house is visible as the remaining walls are in common brick. Against the northwest wall of the warehouse is a single storey loading bay with a low pitched roof over which is clearly a later addition to the mill.